If you hold a County role, then you will be required to use Office 365 for all email, team messages, file storage and sharing. You will have complete access to the full suite of Mircosoft products.
You will be sent an email which contains your email address and password. You must visit www.office.com and login using these details.
As a rule we will provide the Web Versions of all the applications necessary to you role. Which include:
- Excel – Spreadsheet
- OneDrive – Cloud File Storage
- OneNote – Notebook
- Outlook – Email & Calendar
- Powerpoint – Presentations
- Sway – Interactive Newsletters
- Forms – Online Surveys and Data Capture
- Word – Word Processor
In most cases, you will have been set up with a minimum of two accounts:
- Personal account, in the format of <firstname>.<surname>@scoutshw.org.uk
- A role-based account that matches your position, e.g. <roletype>.<rolearea>@scoutshw.org.uk (Note: you may have more than one of these mailboxes)
You should only use the login details provided by the County team for logging in to any Office365 service!
It is understood that this ‘two account’ set up does make things slightly more complicated.
However, there are several reasons why this approach has been adopted:
- Regardless of the number of roles you hold, you only ever need to know one account to log on. You may have a personal login and also a role-specific account. Multiple accounts are managed as an alias as the main account.
- If multiple people require access to a mailbox, this can be managed without having to share credentials
- It helps to keep licensing to a minimum
Only personal accounts are licensed, and we have fewer personal accounts than roles
- If someone else comes in to assist with a role (for example, due to long term absence or illness) someone else can be given access to the mailbox without having to worry about resetting passwords, etc.
- When someone else comes into the role, the new and old person can have access to the same mailbox for a period of time, aiding the transition
- If you have access to the admin area of the website, this also uses your personal account
Recommended Basic Setup
It is recommended, as a minimum, you ensure you can log onto your personal and role-based mailboxes via www.office.com
Please ensure you follow the steps below the first time you login
- Go to www.office.com and log in with your main email address and assigned password.
When you first logon, you will be prompted to:
- Change your password
- Confirm your personal details:
- Log in to https://outlook.office.com with your email
If you are prompted for a timezone, the recommended setting is (UTC +00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London
- Click on the gear icon:on the top right hand corner of the screen, which will bring up the Settings menu
- Log in to https://outlook.office.com with your email
- Click on Mail under Your app settings
- In the menu, just above Mail, there should be a General option. Click the triangle to the left of General, to expand the menu
- Click on My Account and ensure that the details are populated and correct.
As a minimum, the following fields should be populated:
- First name
- Display name
- Home Phone
- Device (Note: this is actually your mobile number)
- Address details (Street, City, State/Province, Postcode and Country / Region)
- (optional) You can also add your photo by clicking the pencil icon below the image with your initials, at the top of the page
- It is also recommended to check the Region and time zone settings (further down the General menu options) are correct
The recommended setting is (UTC +00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London
- Ensure you can access your mailbox(es). Details of how to do this are in the Email section below
There are numerous different ways to access to the mailbox, and it is difficult to account for every conceivable option here.
Therefore, only the most common methods are shown below. If you have more specific requirements, please contact us with more details and we will do our best to assist
1. Outlook Web Access / OWA
The quickest and easiest method to access the mailbox is via Webmail, otherwise known as Outlook Web Access or OWA.
Although this is not compulsory, it is strongly recommended that you, at least, log in and set up OWA to be able to access all of your mailboxes, regardless of how you intend to access longer term
To access OWA:
- Log in directly to https://outlook.office.com
After you have logged in with your personal account, you may need to add your role based email account(s). To do this
- Click on the More link, under the folders section
- On the top level folder, right click and select Add Shared Folder… from the menu
- Type in your role based email address and select it from the pop-up list (if it doesn’t appear click Search Directory)
- Select the account and click Add
2. Mail Client (e.g Outlook)
Most modern clients now provide a means of setting up the mailbox by simply entering the email and password and the server settings are configured automatically. This should happen with the Office365 account as well
Instructions below are for Microsoft Outlook, as this is the most popular mail client.
However, most other mail clients will have a similar functionality
- In Outlook, Click File
- Click on the Account Settings button, and then click on Account Settings in the drop down menu
- In the Email tab, click on New…
- Type in your Name, Email Address and Password
- Click Next and the settings should be auto-discovered and the account created in your mail client
If you experience issues, let me know what client (and version) you are using, and we will try and provide specific instructions.
Worst case, if you can’t get the account added, access the mailbox via Outlook Web Access (https://outlook.office.com in the short term)
Note: Using Outlook is, by far, the preferred method as, if you used auto-discover, your role based email address(es), and any folders from groups you are a member of, should automatically have been added to your profile.
Your emails will be sent from your main email address. If you need to change this and send messages from other addresses, you will need to do the following:
- Open a new email message
- In the menu bar, click Options
- In the Show Fields section, make sure the From button is selected
- Click the From drop-down menu and select Other Email Address…
- Click the From button and select your role based address from the address list, and click OK
Manual setup of personal mailbox
Use the details below to manually set up access to your personal (<firstname>.<surname>@notts-scouts.org.uk) mailbox
- Log into webmail (https://outlook.office.com)
- Click on the gear icon on the top right-hand corner of the screen, which will bring up the Settings menu
- Under Your App Settings click on Mail
- In the menu on the left-hand side, click on Pop and IMAP (Options > Mail > Accounts > POP and IMAP)
Manual setup of role-based account
Note: If you are using Outlook, and used the AutoDiscover functionality (where you only typed in your email address and password), this step should not be necessary as the role-based mailbox should already be added
The details below should be used to set up direct access to a role based mailbox
The key difference, to above, is the Username format – please note and enter with care!
Incoming Mail Server (IMAP / POP) Settings
- Server: outlook.office365.com
- Protocol: IMAP
- Email address: <role based email address>
- Username: Same as Email Address
- Password: Password you have confirmed
- Port: 993
- Encryption: SSL
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) Settings
- Server: smtp.office365.com:587
- Username: <role based email address>
- Password: Password you have confirmed
- Port: 587
- Encryption: TLS
3. Mobile / Tablets
Most mobiles and tablets will have the ability to auto-detect settings.
However, this will only work for the Personal accounts, and not the role-based mailboxes and, so, the following setup is recommended:
- Go to Settings > Mail > Accounts > Add Account > Exchange
- Type in your email address in the Email field
- Enter your password in the Password field
- If desired, update the Description field to be something more meaningful (e.g. “Scouts HW”)
- The settings should be auto-detected and you should not be prompted for further information.
If you are, then the most likely reason is there is an error in either the username or password
- Select which functions you wish to sync with your device
Settings for Android can vary greatly, depending on the device and version of Android in use.
Therefore, it is not really practical to write specific instructions. However, using the iOS details above, you should be able to get the account set up
If you are really struggling, please contact us and we will see what we can do to help
An alternative option is to use the OWA (Outlook Web Access) app:
- iOS (iPhone): https://itunes.apple.com/app/owa-for-iphone/id659503543
- iOS (iPad): https://itunes.apple.com/app/owa-for-ipad/id659524331
- Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.exchange.mowa
- Windows Mobile: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/owa/9wzdncrfjbh2
The OWA app provides a mobile version of https://outlook.office.com.
Therefore, the steps in the Webmail section should have been followed, in order to add the role-based account(s), before use
Alternatively, if you prefer, you can set up the standard mail application on your device manually, using the details for Manual Setup in a standard mail client above
Note: Most documentation will direct you towards the Outlook mobile app for accessing Office365 mailboxes.
Whilst this will work, it does not support the role-based accounts and will only allow you access your personal account – hence the recommendation to use the default Mail app, or OWA
As part of our Office365 subscription, each user will be able to access up to 1Tb of personal storage space
This is intended to be used for files relating to your role in Scouts Hereford and Worcester
To access your OneDrive storage area:
Log on to https://portal.office.com
Click on the OneDrive icon
Sync OneDrive Files with your PC
Files can be uploaded, viewed and downloaded from the web interface
It is also possible to download the OneDrive for Business client and sync files automatically with your PC.
Care should, however, be taken to avoid conflicts with usage of personal OneDrive accounts, so this is undertaken at your own risk.
If you do want to sync files, follow the steps below:
On the Office365 Dashboard, click on “Install Office”, then click “Install Software”
Click on OneDrive from the menu on the left
Choose your language and version, then click “Install”
After installation, open the OneDrive for Business from your PC
Log on using your .@scoutshw.org.uk account